History of Darbhanga

Darbhanga is as old as Ramayana and Mahabharata. This are is the part of Mithila which was estabilished by Videhas of Aryan Stock who ware come from banks of Saraswati in Punjab. They first come to east bank of Sadanira (Gandak river) sujected by Agni, the God of Fire. This then was called Vaideha (the land of Selfless). In Ramayana era Janaks ware ruling the vaideha and there was a great king of this era was MITHI on whose name the area was renamed as MITHILA to commemorate him.

The legends like Vidyapati, Kumaril Bhatt, Mandan Mishra, Nagarjun, Vibhuti Bhushan Bandopadhya, Vidushi Bhariti and many more belonged to this reason.

The Darbhanga Town was founded by Darbhangi Khan after who the name of principle town is and the name this town is given to the District when it was established in british era. This town is Heaquarter of district as well as the division. It is also said that the name Darbhanga was derived from Dwar-Banga or Dar-e-Bang meaning "THE GATEWAY TO BENGAL". Darbhanga is situated in the heart of north bihar and holds its importance in the state as well as in country.Darbhanga is in the heart of Mithilanchal - the fertile, alluvial plains of North India.

Under the British rule, Darbhanga was a part of Sarkar Tirhut upto 1875, when it was constituted into a separate district. The sub-divisions of the then district Darbhanga were created as earlier as Darbhanga Sadar in 1845, Madhubani in 1846 and Samastipur in 1867. Darbhanga was part of Patna Division till 1908, when the separate Tirhut Division was carved out. Darbhanga became the Divisional headquarters in 1972 when all its three sub-divisions got the status of separate districts. Thus the present Darbhanga district took shape.

Sponsored